By Frank Guru
I want to cry, man.
I really do.
But I don't know how to tell you that
without sounding weak,
without making you look at me
the way men are taught to fear—
with pity in your eyes
and questions on your lips.
So don't ask me what's wrong.
Not yet.
Just sit with me.
Because I have spent so long
telling everyone I'm alright
that I think I have forgotten
what “alright” is supposed to feel like.
You see me laugh,
don't you?
That's the trouble with laughter.
It makes a convincing disguise.
I have become rather good at it—
smiling at the right moments,
making jokes when the room gets heavy,
carrying conversations
so nobody notices
how desperately I want someone
to ask me to stop pretending.
And yes,
I know you care.
I know you care
but I just never care about myself enough
to notice that I matter
because my feelings are nonexistent.
Or perhaps they aren't nonexistent.
Perhaps I have simply buried them
so deeply
that even I cannot find them anymore.
I feel things, man.
God, I feel things.
I just don't know what to do with them.
So I swallow them.
Every disappointment.
Every fear.
Every goodbye.
Every night I wished someone
would notice I wasn't okay.
I swallow them all
until my chest feels crowded
with words that never found a mouth.
And sometimes I wonder
what would happen
if I stopped being strong.
If, for once,
I admitted that I am tired.
Not the kind of tired
sleep can cure.
I mean tired of carrying myself
like I am not heavy.
Tired of being everyone's shelter
while secretly praying
for somewhere to hide from the rain.
You know what hurts?
Sometimes I don't even want advice.
I don't need you to fix me.
I just want to say,
“Man, this hurts,”
and not have to apologise
for hurting.
I want to sit beside someone
and let the silence speak
without feeling ashamed of it.
I want someone to understand
that sometimes a man doesn't need
a solution.
Sometimes he just needs permission
to be human.
So if I ever go quiet,
don't mistake it for peace.
If I laugh too loudly,
don't assume I'm happy.
If I say, “I'm good,”
maybe ask me twice.
And if I finally tell you
that I'm not—
please don't make me regret
having trusted you with the truth.
Because I have spent years
building walls around a heart
I was never taught how to hold.
And tonight,
for just a moment,
I think I want to put the bricks down.
I think I want to be honest.
I think I want to cry, man.
But tears have always stood at the corner of my eye
but they never fall
because why should I cry
I am a man....
No comments:
Post a Comment