Evanescence is not
a sin. It is the truth
that nothing holds still.
Love arrives,
and leaves, and
that is why it is love.
Thoughts rise,
and dissolve, and
that is why they are true.
We are borrowed fire.
We flare, we warm,
we go out —
and the universe
does not ask anything
but candidness to self
...and sojourners.
So let me be heretic to the permanent.
Let me worship the passing.
Let me believe that meaning
...is not kept in a vault,
but scattered —
in the steam off tea,
in the last note of a song,
in the way
our names sound once,
and then become memory.
If there be
an after, may it be this:
that I did not wait
...for permission to be alive.
That I love without escrow.
That I look at the vanishing
and did not call it empty, but holy.
Because everything holy,
by its nature,
does not stay.
-Amami H.
Ojodu, Lagos
July 26, 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment